When a relationship feels like too much work the advice to “keep working on yourself” can feel dismissive and insensitive.
In this episode of the Keep Talking Revolution podcast, we talk about what to do when working on a relationship feels like rowing a boat with one oar and how to keep up your end of the deal without overdoing it.
Seven truths about working on a relationship:
- Relationships do take work, but it’s not supposed to be miserable all the time
- Work is never fulfilling if it doesn’t have a purpose or meaning
- Trying to do someone else’s work will wear you out and make you resent them
- You can’t make someone want something they don’t want
- You’ll feel better if you stay in your “job description”
- You’re the only one who can decide if it’s worth it
- Rest and play are just as important as work