72. How to Avoid Unproductive Conversations
Do you ever hesitate to bring something up because you’re afraid of getting sucked into another unproductive conversation?
In this episode of the Keep Talking Revolution Podcast, you’ll learn how to approach important conversations so that you can talk about what really matters, solve problems, and focus on creating connection and understanding.
When you consistently follow the principles of productive communication and take responsibility for how you’re showing it gets a lot easier to disagree and discuss your differences without arguing, shutting down, or running away before the issue is resolved.
Signs you’re getting stuck in an unproductive conversation
- Not focusing on the core issue (getting distracted by related issues, arguing about surface-level facts, bringing up the past, etc.)
- Defending or convincing, instead of seeking understanding
- Blaming instead of problem-solving
How to get back on track
- Decide what the purpose of the conversation is and stick to it. Are you trying to inform, discuss, or just connect?
- Take responsibility for how you are handling yourself, no matter what. Don’t justify or place blame for how you show up.
- Take a healthy break with a commitment to come back to the conversation later (no storming off or stonewalling).