I have an ongoing fantasy...
…where my partner does something that bugs me, I calmly tell him, “That was lame” and he looks at me and says, “You’re absolutely right! I understand why you feel that way. I can’t believe I didn’t realize that.”
And if you’re like most of us, you realize that my communication fantasy is about as unrealistic as most other fantasies we have for love and romance.
Addressing bad behavior can be tricky, but if you follow the three rules I share in this episode of the Keep Talking Revolution Podcast you can avoid the biggest land mines in most hard conversations.
The Three Rules for Dealing With Bad Behavior in Adult Relationships are:
- Focus on the behavior and how it impacts you
- Discuss the situation when you’re feeling calm & confident
- Acknowledge how your actions are contributing to the dynamic
Related episodes you might want to listen to if you liked this episode…
- Six Signs of Relationship Trouble – and how to get back on track
- To Offer & Receive Influence with Bruce Pagano