What is the purpose and meaning of your relationship?
In the Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work – Gottman finishes the seven principles with the principles of Creating Shared Meaning.
There are four pillars described in the Seven Principles Book:
- Rituals of Connection
- Support for Each Other’s Roles
- Shared Goals
- Shared Values and Symbols
Our guest, Alicia Montemurro, explains so well how creating shared meaning is an important component of our well-being both as individuals and within our relationships.
Listen to episode 42 of the Keep Talking Revolution podcast to learn:
- Two components of meaning and their benefits
- Five benefits of living with purpose
- How you can create and support the roles you play in your relationship beyond a prescribed gender role orientation
- Why tension builds when there are conflicting views over values, goals, and goals and how to achieve more unity and harmony
Recommended reading from our guest Alicia Montemurro:
Related episodes you might want to listen to if you liked this episode…
- Four Destructive Relationship Habits (Gottman’s Four Horsemen)
- The Worst Time for Conflict (Understanding Emotional Flooding)
- The Key To Deepening your Relationship (Principle 1 – Enhance your Love Maps)
- The Foundation of Affection (Principle 2 – Nurture your Fondness & Admiration)
- The Recipe for Connection (Principle 3 – Turn Toward Each Other Instead of Away)
- To Offer & Receive Influence (Principle 4 – Let Your Partner Influence You)
- The Misguided Goal of Conflict Resolution (Understanding Solvable & Perpetual Problems)
- Conscious in Conflict (Principle 5 – Solve Your Solvable Problems)
- Avoiding Relationship Gridlock (Principle 6 – Overcome Gridlock)