Who gets the final say when you and your partner disagree?
In The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work Gottman calls the ability to discuss and decide as a team “Accepting Influence.”
Bruce Pagano joins me on this episode to share his personal experience navigating this issue as well as his professional insights as a couples therapist. Bruce shares, “For me, I had to really learn to just be quiet and listen to what she was saying without trying to fix things. And then she had to learn to speak up.”
Whether you need to work on your listening and willingness to be influenced or you need to work on speaking up and offering influence you’ll find some great insights for you and your relationship in this episode.
Connect with our guest Bruce Pagano II
- Website: Growing Hope Counseling
- Facebook: brucepagano2
- Instagram: @bpags2 or @growing.hope.counseling
- TikTok: @bpags2
- Twitter: @bpags2
Related episodes you might want to listen to if you liked this episode…
- Four Destructive Relationship Habits (Gottman’s Four Horsemen)
The Worst Time for Conflict (Understanding Emotional Flooding)
- The Key To Deepening your Relationship (Principle 1 – Enhance your Love Maps)
- The Foundation of Affection (Principle 2 – Nurture your Fondness & Admiration)
- The Recipe for Connection (Principle 3 – Turn Toward Each Other Instead of Away)