According to Dr. John Gottman, active listening isn’t enough to improve a struggling relationship.
Since Mario and I have seen so many therapists (ahem…at least 6) in our 9-year marriage, we feel particularly qualified to take on these 7 marriage myths that Gottman has debunked.
SPOILER ALERT – we kind of stink at active listening conversations. And Love Languages – we don’t practice those either.
Listen to our conversation about these 7 common relationship myths:
- Personality problems ruin relationships
- Common interests keep you together
- You scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours (aka “the fairness trap”)
- Avoiding conflict will ruin your relationship
- Affairs are the root cause of divorce
- Men are not biologically ‘built’ for monogamy
- Men and women are from different planets